Reading our own Clover Hope’s excellent piece about fanboy journalism today sparked a memory that’s never far from mind: In the early 1990s, beloved cool-teen magazine Sassy perfected the art of anti-fangirling, running several feature profiles on then-famous teens that reveled in brutally excoriating their subjects. (Presumably because they knew if they didn’t, their readership of smart, hip teen girls would definitely see through the bullshit.) The most savage of these, as I recall, was a piece on mid-Saved by the Bell career Tiffani-Amber Thiessen. It ran with the headline “Tiffani-Amber: Something Does Not Compute,” beneath an original, styled photo of the young actor herself, but that was nothing compared to the cover line: “Saved by the Bell’s Demi-Bimbo.” The article, written by Mary Ann Marshall and archived here, begins as follows: That badly written, lowest-common-denominator show Tiffani-Amber Thiessen’s on is a total affront to anyone with half a brain. It’s like the poor man’s 90210, with its ensemble cast of high school students, lame jokes and cardboard-looking sets. Although it’s filmed in front of a live studio audience, even the laughter sounds canned. While it’s not uncommon for a hit piece of criticism to wield such a blunt instrument,… Read full this story
- Dennis Quaid fondly remembers Parent Trap co-star Natasha Richardson
- Wisconsin boy who received 3,000 birthday cards remembered as positive, compassionate fighter who loved tacos
- Say a fond farewell to the small smartphone
- I was a Beatlemaniac: Remembering The Beatles' American invasion
- Fond du Lac alum Jenna Rosenthal standing tall for Marquette volleyball
- Artist Marilyn Mertz, who helped establish San Angelo museum, remembered
- Skyline Chili remembers Clifton store owner Tom Yunger
- 'A newsman comes along': Remembering former editor William "Bill" Eginton
- Do you remember German POWs in WWII Wisconsin? Share your story with us.
- See who's on the delinquent tax list for Fond du Lac County
Fondly Remembering have 308 words, post on pictorial.jezebel.com at December 20, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.