Following a case that sparked protests against sexual violence and marked yet another stain on the international reputation of the popular US ride-sharing service, a Delhi court on Tuesday convicted an Uber driver of raping his female passenger.
In addition, Shiv Kumar Yadav, who will be sentenced on October 23, was convicted of intimidation, kidnapping and causing harm to the woman’s life. He faces up to life imprisonment.
The incident occurred in December as the 25-year-old woman, a finance executive, was returning to her home in the suburbs of New Delhi one evening. She says she fell asleep in the car, after which Yadav pulled over to a remote spot and raped her.
Her experience sparked outrage among many in India, and prompted demonstrations calling for the government to do more to protect women.
Another bump in the road for Uber
The incident marked yet another controversy for the San Francisco-based Uber, which has seen its popularity grow over the years but has also had to deal with foreign governments’ increasing criticism of its business practices.
The New Delhi case led the Indian government to temporarily ban the ride-sharing service, accusing it of failing to perform proper safety checks after it was discovered Yadav had a history of sexual assault.
Uber, which began
in September 2013, has since resumed rides in the city.
blc/cmk (AFP, dpa, AP)
- Florida Uber driver accidentally shoots teenage passenger
- Uber drivers use armed security in South Africa
- Arna Kimiai, woman who coughed on Uber driver, charged with two felonies
- Arna Kimiai, woman who coughed on Uber driver in viral video, arrested
- New York City Considers New Pay Rules for Uber Drivers
- Woman yells "this is America" at Uber driver for making her wear mask
- Uber drivers and passengers will still have to wear face masks from Monday despite relaxation of Covid laws
- Judge denies injunction calling Uber drivers employees and granting them paid sick leave
- Woman who coughed on Uber driver acted "responsibly" by surrendering—lawyer
- Uber driver accused of hammer attack on S.F. rider
- Uber driver Joe Schelstraete dies after being shot in the head by carjackers in Chicago suburb as cops question juvenile
- A Pandemic Safety Feature On Uber And Lyft Is Getting Abused To Scam Drivers And Discriminate Against Passengers
- New Orleans Uber driver robbed at gunpoint by passenger loses his job for having gun on floor
- Uber IPO: Why there's a lot riding for Uber in India
- Uber Driver Is Stabbed to Death in California, Suspect Seen Fleeing from Car Is 17-Year-Old Girl
- Former Australian PM gets mistaken for Uber driver, gives drunk passengers a ride anyway
- Uber driver arrested in sexual battery of passenger in Moraga
- New Yorker Who Posed as Uber Driver Set to Go on Trial in South Carolina for Murder of Student
- South Carolina man repeatedly stabbed student who mistook him for Uber driver in deadly attack: prosecutors
- Uber sells its India food delivery business to Zomato
Uber driver in India convicted of raping passenger have 475 words, post on www.dw.com at October 20, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.