The settings for Craig Zobel’s 2012 behavioral experiment Compliance and the director’s new post-apocalyptic tale Z for Zachariah couldn’t be more different. The former takes place almost entirely in the claustrophobic confines of a fast food restaurant’s employees-only areas. The latter unfolds amidst lush, bucolic tranquility. Yet at the heart of both films is a study of group dynamics. Set in an idyllic valley mysteriously immune to an extinction-level catastrophe, Z for Zachariah begins as a two-hander featuring Margot Robbie as a Christian farm girl who believes she’s the last person on earth until the arrival of an atheist scientist played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. The pair tiptoe tentatively around the sexual tension until the third side of the relationship triangle materializes in the form of a polite but shifty-eyed Chris Pine. The movie’s cinematographer Tim Orr spoke to Filmmaker about the looming influence of Tarkovsky, illuminating by candlelight, and how a movie set in rural America ended up shooting in New Zealand. Filmmaker : Like your frequent collaborator David Gordon Green, Z for Zachariah director Craig Zobel also attended North Carolina School of the Arts with you. It’s incredible how many filmmakers and actors came out of that program from… Read full this story
- Kuldeep Yadav Claims Career-Best T20I Rank Despite India's Series Loss In New Zealand
- The Great Outdoors: Epic Games’ Tim Sweeney And Scans Of Scot-Zealand
- Wot I Think: Metro Exodus
- Tim Schafer at GDC: “f**k white supremacists”
- Dean Hall gets that leaving Bohemia to make a Tycoon game “sounds really weird and random”
- Tim Heidecker channels his anger into Mister America
- Interview: Tim Schafer On Kickstarter, And Good Will
- Interview: Tim Schafer On Adventures
- Here's Everything that's coming to Path of Exile in the new Breach expansion
- Think You're Making Progress? You Might Not Be!
Thinking of Tarkovsky While Making New Zealand Look Russian: DP Tim Orr on have 298 words, post on filmmakermagazine.com at September 4, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.