FERGUSON, Mo.— Nearly a year after then-Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson killed unarmed black teen Michael Brown, Dionne Henderson, who heard the gunshots and ran out to the street, still isn’t sure what to think of the incident.Part of her believes Wilson, who is white, shot in self defense to protect himself, but Henderson, who is black, also mourns the loss of an 18 year old and feels unsettled when she recalls his body lying in the hot sun for hours just outside her Canfield Green apartment. She is sure of one thing, however: She wants to move out of Canfield Green Apartments, as many of her neighbors have done, before the Aug. 9 anniversary of Brown’s death.”I want to move out because soon it will be the 9th and I know people are going to be back here. I’ll have to take back roads to get home,” said Henderson, a retired bus driver who has lived in the apartment complex for two years. “In a way, I’m proud that all kinds of people can stick together and protest. But, people were also out there so-called protesting, robbing stores and stuff like that. That’s the sad part.”Hundreds of protesters descended… Read full this story
- This Country's Daisy May Cooper pays tribute to her 'genius' late former co-star Michael Sleggs as she's gifted a copy of his book from his family nearly a year after his death
- Coronavirus Pennsylvania: Statewide COVID-19 Cases Nears 48,000 As Death Toll Approaches 2,500
- Coronavirus strikes nearly 80 Missouri nursing homes
- Harry Reid-Backed Group Politicizes Trayvon Martin’s Death
- Sarah Ferguson makes lunch at home inside her kitchen at Royal Lodge – and she's just like us!
- Michael Douglas steps out for a walk in upstate New York... days after stepmom Anne Douglas turns 101 years old
- Personal belongings of an 18-year-old soldier killed in the Somme stored in a suitcase and hidden in an attic by his grieving mother who couldn't bear to look at them are found 90 years later
- Coronavirus fatalities hit 58,000 with 1,026,000 cases in the U.S. as experts raise death toll estimate to more than 74,000 by August and states prepare to open up
- Pharrell: Obama ‘Needs to Come Down’ to Ferguson
- Tom Morello Drops Protest Song ‘Marching on Ferguson’
Nearly a year after Michael Brown's death, Ferguson residents move toward healing have 371 words, post on www.usatoday.com at August 7, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.