Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump has shown a softer flip-side to his immigration policy leanings just one day after visiting the U.S.-Mexico border, saying Friday that America should use a ‘merit system’ to allow some illegal immigrants to stay. ‘I’m a believer in the merit system,’ Trump told MSNBC during a phone-in interview on the ‘Morning Joe’ program. ‘If somebody’s been outstanding, we try and work something out,’ he said, while stopping short of addressing whether that might include a path to U.S. citizenship. Trump also acknowledged that the enormous media boom his candidacy has generated could be fleeting, and downplayed the possibility that he might break with the GOP to run as a third-party candidate. ‘I’m just chugging along,’ he said. ‘You know, maybe people will get tired of me. Who knows? I mean, this press is crazy. … I don’t know, maybe people get burned out.’ 20 MINUTES WITH THE DONALD: Trump gaev a lengthy interview on Friday with MSNBC, saying he supports a ‘merit system’ to determine the status of more than 11 million immigrants living illegally in the US MORNING JOE: Joe Scarborough (left) asker Trump if anything could stop his political juggernaut, and the billionaire… Read full this story
- Trump says border wall negotiators will fail, hints again at emergency declaration
- Trump says he’s not thrilled with Republican-backed border deal
- On border visit, Trump says 'Our country is full'
- Sanders: Plan to send illegal immigrants to sanctuary cities under 'thorough' review
- Immigration: Trump says he wants more legal migrants in U.S.
- ‘Our country is full’: President Trump says migrants straining system
- More Californians think illegal immigration a priority than education, poll says
- Fact Check: Trump says no more planes or cows under Democrats
- Border security: Trump says talks wasting time. What does history say?
- Should illegal immigrants be allowed to get driver's licenses in New Jersey?
Trump says 'maybe people will get tired of me – who knows?' as he DOWNPLAYS a third-party run and backs 'merit system' to determine which illegal immigrants can stay have 310 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 24, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.