When Selahattin Demirtaş shrugged off the formal traditions of Turkish political campaigning and went on a television talk show equipped with a saz, a Turkish folk guitar, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan sensed an opportunity to land a blow. The co-leader of the Peoples’ Democratic party (HDP), sniffed the Turkish president, was a mere “pop star”. But, far from hurting Demirtaş, the remark merely served to highlight Erdoğan’s fear of the 42-year-old’s youthful, telegenic appeal and sense of humour. His musical performance was just one of the ways in which Demirtaş – the man who has done more than anyone to thwart Erdoğan’s aspirations to build an all-powerful presidency – achieved electoral breakthrough by thumbing his nose at political convention. In Sunday’s parliamentary elections, the HDP broadened beyond its Kurdish roots, to become a liberal umbrella group with particular appeal to women, gay men and lesbians, anxious about Erdoğan’s growing power and deepening conservatism. In May, Demirtaş invited the television cameras into his home, where he made a leisurely Turkish breakfast for his wife, Başak, and their two daughters. “Breakfast is the only time we truly enjoy each other’s company,” he said. “After that everyone goes to either school or work.” Born… Read full this story
- Erdogan says Turkey still searching for truth on Khashoggi
- Turkey proposed financial package for Paris climate deal
- Donald Trump Readies Possible Sanctions Against Turkey
- Egypt, Cyprus, Greece condemn gas exploration by Turkey
- Egypt, Cyprus, Greece condemns gas exploration by Turkey
- Kurdish commander says Turkey attacks Rojava with jihadists
- Canada suspends new export permits to Turkey amid Syrian military operation
- Erdogan says Turkey 'can't host refugees forever'
- Syria: Kurds considering alliance with Assad against Turkey
- Erdoğan’s calamitous Syrian blunder has finally broken his spell over Turkey
Selahattin Demirtaş: thumbing his nose at political convention in Turkey have 299 words, post on www.theguardian.com at June 8, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.