Tony Ayala Jr., a rising star in boxing before a 1983 rape conviction that led to the first of two long prison terms, died Tuesday at a family-owned gym in his hometown of San Antonio. He was 52.Bexar County medical examiner records indicate Ayala died the gym where he was trying to build a career as a trainer. There was no immediate cause of death.Ayala, a 1979 Golden Gloves middleweight champion, was 19 when he was arrested and later convicted of raping a schoolteacher in New Jersey. He was undefeated in 22 bouts with 19 knockouts and set to fight Davey Moore for a junior middleweight title before the arrest.After serving 16 years of a 35-year term for rape, Ayala was involved in several incidents in Texas as he tried to revive his boxing career. He was shot in the left shoulder by a woman after allegedly breaking into her home and refusing to leave in 2000. He got probation and a short jail term in a plea agreement.Four years later, Ayala went back to prison for 10 years when he violated parole in the Texas case. He was pulled over for speeding and charged with driving without a license,… Read full this story
- Two more women claim 'master manipulator' Jeffrey Epstein raped them over a period of several years after promising to help their careers and showering them with gifts of lingerie and concert tickets
- Who Was the Author of Toni Morrison?
- Berkeley mayor asks for details on police delay in rape kit
- Rape kit backlog: DNA matches suspect to teens’ rape 6 years later
- From a pervert teacher who dressed as a superhero to a monster who raped his girlfriend's two-year-old daughter: The evil faces that lay bare Australia's paedophile crisis as sex offences soar
- Rape-kit backlog leaves victims in fear
- Serena Williams serves up punches as she learns how to box from Mike Tyson in Boca Raton, Florida at trainer Patrick Mouratoglou's camp
- Who killed Freddie Mills? Broke champion boxer and TV star's shooting linked to The Krays - but his death remains a mystery
- Father is arrested for ‘taking baseball bat to head of university employee who failed to take his daughter's rape allegation seriously’
- Sydney rape trial: Model tragically dies just weeks before man accused of attacking her faces court
Tony Ayala Jr., boxer who served time for rape, dies at 52 have 372 words, post on www.foxsports.com at May 12, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.