To prevent global warming from exceeding a dangerous 2 degrees Celsius, humankind has to transition out of fossil fuel usage by the middle of this century, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Renewable energies play a key role in the transition to low-carbon systems – but the energy produced by the sun or by wind must be somehow stored in order to be used efficiently. This is where a new invention from California-based tech company Tesla Motors comes in. CEO Elon Musk introduced the “Tesla Energy” project , “a suite of batteries for homes, businesses, and utilities fostering a clean energy ecosystem and helping wean the world off fossil fuels.” Store your energy at home Tesla’s rechargeable lithium-ion battery is supposed to allow households and businesses to store the excess energy they get from solar panels on the roof, for example, and use it a later point. That way, no energy is wasted, and dependency on the electricity grid would decrease dramatically – at least that’s the plan. The “Powerwall Home Battery” comes in a 10-kilowatt-hour version for $3,500 (3,110 euros) and a 7-kilowatt-hour version for $3,000 (2,660 euros). The 10-kilowatt-hour version works as a backup -… Read full this story
- Home Wind Energy - The Time is Right!
- The Science Behind Rechargeable Batteries - AAA
- Green Energy - Understanding Solar Powered Air Conditioners
- Free Energy Plans - How to Lower Your Energy Bills
- Clarifying Battery Myths and Misconceptions
- Backyard Renewable Energy Alternatives For Your Home
- How Does Solar Energy Work?
- Build Your Own Green Power - Use Renewable Energy at Home
- Ford Motors and the New Battery
- Are There Real Renewable Energy Solutions?
Tesla battery may herald new era in energy storage have 264 words, post on www.dw.com at May 4, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.