The government agency that brought us the Internet has now developed a powerful new search engine that is shedding light on the contents of the so-called deep Web. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) began work on the Memex Deep Web Search Engine a year ago, and this week unveiled its tools to Scientific American and “60 Minutes.” Memex, which is being developed by 17 different contractor teams, aims to build a better map of Internet content and uncover patterns in online data that could help law enforcement officers and others. While early trials have focused on mapping the movements of human traffickers, the technology could one day be applied to investigative efforts such as counterterrorism, missing persons, disease response, and disaster relief.Dan Kaufman, director of the information innovation office at DARPA, says Memex is all about making the unseen seen. “The Internet is much, much bigger than people think,” DARPA program manager Chris White told “60 Minutes.” “By some estimates Google, Microsoft Bing, and Yahoo only give us access to around 5 percent of the content on the Web.”Google and Bing produce results based on popularity and ranking, but Memex searches content typically ignored by commercial search engines, such as unstructured data, unlinked content,… Read full this story
- Google Search upgrades its dictionary card with a separate search box, autocomplete, and history
- The Dark Web: What Is It and How To Access It
- How are the Deep Web and Dark Web affecting healthcare today?
- Google, Amazon take lead in Web services
- Google searches for exposure--overseas
- Google Search: Big, bad multi-billion dollar sandbox
- Google searches for the news
- Google Search is adding a news feed to its homepage on mobile
- License expiration, site redirect could cause Google China to go dark
- Mozilla vs. Apple on Safari flap: It's about the Google search box
'Google search on steroids' brings dark Web into the light have 294 words, post on www.infoworld.com at February 12, 2015. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.