Crammed into a patch of shade outside their dormitory in a migrant shelter in southern Mexico, a small group of women from Honduras and El Salvador spent much of a recent sweltering afternoon slipping into languid snoozes punctuated by bouts of bawdy banter. It was, they said, the way they gathered strength despite the knowledge that their flight from extreme street gang violence and desperate poverty in their own countries is not only far from over, but looking ever more difficult to complete. “We can’t go back and now we can’t go forward either,” said Natalia, a Honduran in her 20s, as the conversation turned serious and the smiles faded away. “And every day that passes means more suffering and danger for the families we left behind.” For years, the US border has been notoriously tough to cross. The Mexican leg is notorious for the risk of falling into the hands of criminal gangs such as the Zetas cartel, who rape, murder and demand ransoms from relatives in the US, often with the complicity of officials themselves known for demanding bribes. However, the fallout from the political furore unleashed in the US by this year’s spike in children and families… Read full this story
- Judge tells repeat drink-driver his life is 'a train wreck'
- Are these teens risking life and limb playing on Derby building site?
- Hero risked life to rescue 87-year-old neighbour from flat inferno
- EpiPen Shortage In UK Risks 'Life And Death' Situation
- 'They killed my mother, killed my father:' Central Americans risk lives to reach US border
- The 'big, soft teddy bear' who tragically took his own life at Derbyshire train station
- Ethiopian migrants risk torture, cholera in Djibouti on way to Yemen
- Ethiopian migrants risk torture and cholera on way to Yemen
- Brexit Bankers Risk Life on the Edge as Luxembourg Fills Up
- Primorske Novice worried about impact of migrants on life in border areas
Migrants risk life and limb to reach the US on train known as the Beast have 323 words, post on www.theguardian.com at August 23, 2014. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.