The United States have had their worst Wimbledon since 1911, with no men or women getting past round three, but perhaps there is hope for the future after Noah Rubin won the boys’ title with a battling 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 victory over another American, Stefan Kozlov. Rubin, a member of the John McEnroe academy in New York, is the first American winner since Donald Young in 2007 and only the second in 33 years. It was a first grand slam title for the 18-year-old qualifier who was given a US flag by Kozlov at the trophy presentation. “At the end when we were holding the American flag, I was [thinking]: ‘This is pretty special,’” Rubin said. “Hopefully we’ll keep rising together and none of us will fall off, and as a group we’ll get to the top and show the results America wants.” The girls’ title was won by Latvia’s Jelena Ostapenko, who beat Anna Karolina Schmiedlova of Slovakia 2-6, 6-3, 6-0. “In the first set I was a bit nervous,” she said after clinching her first grand slam title. “This means the world to me.” Topics Wimbledon 2014 Wimbledon Tennis US sports news Share on Facebook Share on Twitter… Read full this story
- She keeps winning boxing titles. She is still fighting for visibility.
- Tennessee offers scholarship to boy bullied over homemade UT shirt
- Baftas 2014: The Act of Killing wins best documentary
- Wimbledon 2019: Novak Djokovic Off To Winning Start, Naomi Osaka Knocked Out
- The 1976 Steelers offer hope for Pittsburgh's current 1-4 state in the wide open AFC North
- Sports Shorts: Ankita wins first title of 2019; Henry fumes at VAR
- Newtown High School Wins State Title on Anniversary of 2012 Sandy Hook Massacre
- Warriors Win NBA Title and Immediately There Are Rumors of a White House Boycott
- UFC 245 results, highlights: Alexander Volkanovski outpoints Max Holloway to win featherweight title
- Alex Volkanovski becomes first Australian-born fighter to win UFC title
Wimbledon 2014: Noah Rubin offers US hope by winning boys’ title have 317 words, post on www.theguardian.com at July 6, 2014. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.