BBC director general Tony Hall closed down the controversial £100m Digital Media Initiative to show he “was a new broom”, the corporation’s former chief technology officer John Linwood has claimed. Giving evidence to an employment tribunal in London on Thursday, Linwood said he had been sacked “to make an example of someone to show a new robust attitude to accountability”. Linwood claimed Hall did not have to take the decision to scrap DMI – a system designed to make the BBC tapeless – in May last year, saying it could have worked if it was given more time and money. When asked if he accepted the BBC “wouldn’t have closed down DMI unless it had not had any alternative”, Linwood said: “I don’t accept that. I think the new director general Lord Hall closed it down as part of getting rid of anything with risk associated with it coming on board.” The BBC’s lawyer, Dan Stilitz, asked Linwood: “Why would the BBC bring such criticism on itself unless it had no choice?” Linwood replied: “I believe the BBC did this because the director general wanted to remove anything which had future risk of making him and his new establishment look… Read full this story
- Incoming BBC Director General Tony Hall Faces Challenges From Day One In the Job
- BBC Should Be More Aggressive, Says Director General Tony Hall
- BBC Axes Digital Initiative, Saying It 'Wasted a Huge Amount' of Money
- BBC Digital Initiative Failed Due to 'Serious' Management, Reporting Issues
- BBC to Mark WWI Centenary With Four Years of Programming
- BBC Worldwide Not Eyed for Sale, Executives Say
- BBC's New Director General Says Size of Predecessor's Payoff Was 'Not Right'
- BBC Films unveils 25th anniversary slate
- BBC Refuses to Pull Controversial North Korea Documentary
- BBC Director General Issues Clarion Call to Staff on His First Day
Tony Hall shut BBC's DMI project 'to show he was new broom', tribunal told have 299 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 16, 2014. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.