10.58pm GMT Summary • A day of diplomacy failed to yield visible result, as Russian forces held their positions in Crimea and impassioned crowds on both sides joined in tense confrontations in multiple cities in Crimea and beyond. • A government building in Donetsk in southeastern Ukraine changed hands from police to pro-Russian demonstrators. In Sevastopol, Russian forces blocked a Ukrainian naval vessel. • A UN envoy to Crimea was ejected by a pro-Russian crowd from Simferopol. The reportedly hostile crowd surrounded the envoy’s car and temporarily cornered him in a cafe. International monitors in Crimea were the target of protests. • Europe announced a $15bn aid package for Ukraine, atop a $1bn aid package announced by the US administration and supported by Congress. • Doubts about the resolve of Europe to put together a sanctions package against Russia were dismissed by diplomats. European Union leaders were to meet Thursday to make a decision on sanctions. More on sanctions here. • The United States failed to bring the Ukrainian and Russian foreign minister face-to-face through a day of meetings in Paris, but US secretary of state John Kerry said “concrete” progress had been made and all sides had agreed to… Read full this story
- Ukraine crisis: what is in the Minsk ceasefire agreement?
- People-to-people diplomacy important to Vietnam–Russia ties
- Macron meets Ukraine filmmaker Sentsov after release by Russia
- Ukraine to mull buying gas from Russia, not necessarily Gazprom
- How to Turn Your Marketing Into a Money-Making Machine - Preparing for Marketing that yields results
- 35 Cheap Products That Yield Results That Look More Expensive
- Isometric Exercise & Proper Breathing Create A Non-Stressful Workout That Yields Results
- Diplomacy is neither a tennis match, nor fencing
- Russia Facing Europe: A Provisional Road Map
- Ukrainian Director Oleg Sentsov on Being a Political Prisoner in Russia : 'They Try to Get Under Your Skin'
Ukraine crisis: Diplomacy fails to yield result as Russia stays put in Crimea have 305 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 5, 2014. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.