Threats and hope. The mood on E. Seventh St. in the middle of Manhattan’s Ukrainian community was oddly upbeat Monday. Even after Russian President Vladimir Putin sent troops into Crimea. Even after Moscow issued an ultimatum to Ukraine to surrender two warships or they would seize them, portending that Putin might have plans to expand his push into Ukraine. The threat led President Obama to warn Russia it was on “the wrong side of history” and warn of sanctions. But on Seventh St., the people felt that with Obama on their side they were on the right side of history. “I received a phone call from my father and my sister in Ukraine yesterday,” says Irene Bracero, secretary of St. George’s Ukrainian Catholic Church. “I talked to them on Sunday as I marched with my mother from the Ukrainian Embassy to the Russian Embassy to protest Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.” But she says they were feeling better than they were two weeks ago. “Because the eyes of the world are now on Putin,” she says. “We are not alone. My family and friends in Ukraine are very happy with how President Obama is handling this situation.” Two weeks ago I… Read full this story
- Five Key Tactics a Content Marketing Agency in New York Should Do For Your Website
- 7 things to watch during the CNN/New York Times Democratic presidential debate
- Finding Hope In Trying Times
- Las Vegas mother-of-four with terminal blood cancer is planning her own 'death with dignity' by the Pacific ocean after checking a New York City subway ride, swimming with turtles and skydiving off her bucket list
- Irishwoman who helps super-rich to find love
- Peter Jackson Has a Lot of Power in New Zealand. Some Say Too Much.
- In Show of Support, Trump Meets With Giuliani Over Lunch
- Ukrainians of Hunter commemorate Independence Day
- Donald Trump’s Lawyers Support’s Obama’s DACA Work Permits for Illegals
- Republicans can't hide as new week of impeachment drama consumes Washington
Hamill: Ukrainian community in New York finds hope in Obama's support have 328 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at March 3, 2014. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.