Story highlights Polish Foreign Minister says talks with President and opposition ended early Friday Opposition says 100 killed in Kiev, the worst violence since the unrest began 3 months ago Talks involving Ukraine’s president, opposition leaders and foreign diplomats are ongoing West threatens sanctions against government; Russia stands by it, against protesters Protests. Talks. Violence. Protests. Talks. Violence. By early Friday morning, the lone positive point was that — for the time being — Ukraine’s cycle of political and physical infighting was not then at its bloodiest point, as it had been hours earlier. Opposition medics said that 100 protesters died Thursday in clashes with police, when gunfire was unleashed. The government places the toll much lower. The health ministry puts the total death toll since Tuesday at 77. Twenty-six of them had been previously reported for Tuesday alone. Another 577 people have been injured; 369 of those were hospitalized, the ministry said. The Foreign ministers of Germany, France and Poland met with Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and with the opposition overnight. After dawn, Poland’s top diplomat, Radoslaw Sikorski tweeted: “After negotiations through the night, talks ended at 7:20.” Prodded by the foreign diplomats, the key players were talking about… Read full this story
- Former top diplomat to Ukraine defends US support for the country after Pompeo questions if Americans care
- Pompeo heads to Ukraine next week to meet with president
- Pompeo Enters Heart of Impeachment with Ukraine Visit
- Mike Pompeo says Ukraine's president WILL get White House visit at center of impeachment trial as two meet in Kiev - but WON'T say whether he asked about Joe and Hunter Biden
- Pompeo boils over as Ukraine pressure increases
- Former top diplomat Bill Taylor responds to Pompeo: "Americans should care about Ukraine"
- Pompeo reschedules trip to Ukraine as impeachment trial wages on
- In recording Trump asks how long Ukraine can resist Russians
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s false account of Ukraine episode
- Australia Day: Greens to use local council numbers to lead #changethedate push
Diplomatic talks in Ukraine last until dawn, a day after 100 may have died have 319 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 20, 2014. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.