DiSalvo: Reading your new book, Perv: The Sexual Deviant In All of Us, feels like being told the truth (and not in hushed whispers) about an ocean of assumptions most people never think to question. Did you feel like you were on a “truth telling” mission writing it? Bering: I don’t think I ever framed it in my mind in such explicit terms, but now that you mention it, yes. Oftentimes, as I was trying to explain a particularly challenging or difficult topic, I had the image of myself at, say, fifteen or sixteen, a closeted boy straining to understand things that nobody was willing to have a frank conversation about. That’s to say, much of what I write in this book involves what I only wish I had known back then. One of the themes that comes through is that we feel so sure about the origins and motivations of various sexual behaviors, and for a good many of them there’s no scientific basis for feeling this way – indeed, in many cases science is far from reaching a conclusion. Why do you think we’re so prone to staunchly believing that how we feel about a sexual behavior is automatically true? It’s certainly one of… Read full this story
- Here Are The People Who Kevin Spacey Has Allegedly Sexually Harassed Or Assaulted
- Bill de Blasio’s First Inner Circle Show Featured Steve Buscemi, Cynthia Nixon, and Relatively Few Frills
- Many Parents Delay Talking to Kids About Bad Touching, Says Study
- Chilling moment married pizza delivery driver, 40, prowls the streets looking for a victim to attack before brutally sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in woodland
- Inside David Schwimmer’s New Sexual Harassment PSAs
- Colton Underwood questioned his sexuality after years of bullying due to choice to abstain from sex: 'I was super insecure'
- Pestering World Cup ref ‘asked fellow officials for sex in exchange for career boost’ and ‘tried to touch’ them in changing rooms
- Opera Singer Placido Domingo Accused of Sexual Harassment
- Carly Fiorina on sexual harassment claims rocking Washington
- EXCLUSIVE: 'I was 13, never even been kissed. Mr Collins asks if he can get comfortable and returns totally naked. He puts his genitalia right at my eye level. It was terrifying.' Victim of accused pedophile Stephen Collins breaks silence
Getting In Touch With Your Inner Sexual Deviant have 376 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at November 19, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.