Looking for a”green” drink in Hanoi? A network ofrestaurants and cafes has been set up to offer small gifts or discountsto customers riding any kind of bicycle.
Just hop on your bicycle and pedal straight to your favorite “green destination” right away.
Working to promote a return to cycling in the city – GreenDestination – a Hanoi-based group of environmental campaigners ispromoting the healthy mode of transport by linking up a chain of cafesand restaurants in hopes of encouraging a greener city.
“Our goal is to develop the habit of riding bicycles and to encouragepeople to give up on motorbikes”, said Le Kim Huong, leader of thegroup.
All for a healthy city like it used to be in days – not so far – gone by.
According to statistics from the Ministry of Transport in 2012, 70per cent of air pollution in Hanoi came from transportation, especiallymotorbikes.
Vietnam currently holds the dubious title of having one of the worstlevels of air quality in the world, and the capital, Hanoi, is rankedthe most polluted city in Southeast Asia.
Huong, a new graduate from Hanoi University, came up with the ideaof the food chain from an environmental contest as part of a programmein Japan called Denso Youth for Earth Action. Her idea turned out to bebrilliant enough to win her the first prize.
“I realised traditional media was not good enough. If we could pulltogether businesses to work together with the community, the effectswould be much stronger,” Huong said.
The Green Destination network is the realisation of her savvy ecological business and marketing idea.
From just three members at the beginning, the group now has about 50volunteers, mostly university students working part-time, and 10 activemembers.
“It was very hard at first. We knocked on as many doors as we could,day after day, but all we got back was a “No”. Most owners fearedjoining the campaign would drag down their revenue, others thought wewere just doing a marketing job.”
“Many of our original volunteers became discouraged and disappointed, then quit.” Huong said.
Fortunately, they were not alone in their passion to improve thecity’s air quality. Guim Valls Teruel, a Spanish man cycling around theworld, and many other young Asian environment activists lent them ahelping hand to bring it all together.
The Spanish traveller found out about the campaign and contacted Huong to offer support.
“He enthusiastically shared his experiences in media activities and organising press conferences with us,” Huong said.
“There was also a Filipino designer who created the logo for thegroup, which helped a lot when we were introducing our campaign.”
Three months later, it was a success story. Huong and her partnershad set up a network of nearly 60 restaurants and cafes – and counting -who are committed to the campaign.
Her campaign was so well received that some stores now even call her up to ask if they could be a part of the network.
“Our customers, mostly foreigners, are very happy when they areoffered 10 per cent off the bill,” Tran Ngoc Linh, a staffer at JomaBakery Cafe on To Ngoc Van Street, said.
She also revealed that there were times when the total number of bicycles climbed up to 150 in a day.
“I was quite surprised when first hearing the offer. I think thisidea is brilliant. It encourages people that already travel by bike, andinspires other people to go green as well”, said Franziska Lessmann, aGerman customer at the cafe.
Following the success, Green Destination laid out another three-monthcampaign in August named “Non-emitting vehicle” in which they reachedout as far as the central coastal city of Da Nang.
“We aimed at connecting 300 restaurants and cafes in Hanoi and another 50 in Da Nang”.
Electric bicycles, which have become popular among youth in big cities, are also a part of the campaign.
“I was amazed when I found out that riding electric bike could get mea discount. Maybe I should go home and throw my motorbike out rightaway,” enthused Pham Hong Anh, a customer at Porevol cafe in Tran HungDao Street.
At the moment, Green Destination is preparing for another campaign scheduled for the first months of 2014.
Apart from expanding their trademarked network, Huong and her membersplan to promote media activities by recruiting volunteers andestablishing a presence at universities around Hanoi.
A full list of cafes and discounts can be found on the group’s website: greendestination.org.
- E-bike rider Thomas Hanlon cries after being cleared of killing pedestrian
- E-bike rider killed pedestrian ‘while speeding at 30mph on illegally modified bicycle’
- New bid for peaceful coexistence of bikes, cars on Mt. Diablo
- IPL 2020: Rajasthan Royals To Host Delhi Capitals, Kolkata Knight Riders In Guwahati
- Chain lube for bikes: For increased efficiency of your motorcycle
- Bricklayer, 32, ‘who was speeding on an illegal e-bike killed a woman as she crossed the road when he smashed into her at 30mph’
- Headlight bulbs for bikes: For an enhanced on-road visibility
- Bounce raises $105 million led by Accel Growth and B Capital Group
- Cake Kalk OR review: A radically responsible electric trail bike
- Puncture repair kits for cars and bikes: For the self-dependent riders
- Geelong council votes to spend $2 million to rip up part of the city's $8 million 'green spine'
- Kolkata Knight Riders IPL 2020 Schedule: Date, Time Table, Fixture and Venue
- Treehouses and tyres: an eco-cabin break in mid Wales’ mountain biking country
- Greening the city: How Brussels is planning for climate change
- Rajasthan Royals play two IPL 2020 home games in Guwahati, face Delhi Capitals and Kolkata Knight Riders
- IPL Highlights - Delhi Daredevils vs Kolkata Knight Riders: Zaheer Khan's DD Choke Gautam Gambhir's KKR by 27 Runs
- Bajaj Auto launches Husqvarna bikes, prices start at Rs 1.8 lakh
- Demi Rose's bright pink bikini can barely contain her ample assets as she enjoys a sun-kissed bike ride on Venice Beach... and cuddles a BUNNY
- China’s green goals overtaken by worries over virus-hit economy
- Avenue plans green upgrades at Near Northside community center
Bike riders help keep capital clean and green have 965 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at November 28, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.