Story highlights Commission for Politics and Laws calls for reform of China’s court system Chinese court system has been criticized by people and human rights groups Skeptics say little is likely to change for Communist Party members In the wake of a series of court scandals, an influential Communist Party legal commission issued new guidelines this week asking for fairer due process in China’s much maligned court system. The guidelines, released by the Commission for Politics and Laws, call for interrogations to be recorded to prevent torture, defendants to have access to their attorneys, and judges, prosecutors and police to have a “lifetime responsibility” for their roles on each case. “China has been full of scandals about wrongful convictions of innocent people,” says Nicholas Bequelin, a senior researcher at Human Rights Watch. “I think this is a response by the government and party that knows its citizens hold its judiciary in pretty low regard.” On Tuesday, a man who served 17 years of a life sentence for murdering his wife was freed after a Higher People’s Court in Anhui ruled that the “facts about the alleged homicide were unclear and the evidence inadequate,” state news agency Xinhua reported. This and… Read full this story
- China's #MeToo movement emerges, testing censors' limits
- Sri Lanka Premier Wants India and Japan Cash to Balance China
- Push payment fraud reforms require a holistic approach
- Beyond the mega project: Pakistan needs reforms to consolidate CPEC gains
- Saudi Arabia Wins Emerging Status in Quest for Billions
- 2017 proved nightmarish for rulers
- The west London criminals locked up in January 2018
- Catalan leader's detention in German prison leads to fresh calls for independence from Spain
- Zimbabwe's Emmerson Mnangagwa returns. So what's next?
- Zimbabwe's Emmerson Mnangagwa returns: What's next?
China's push to reform its maligned court system met with skepticism have 285 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 15, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.