CLEVELAND — The Cavaliers have landed one of the Lakers’ front-line free agents. No, not that guy.
Cleveland has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with forward Earl Clark, who played alongside Dwight Howard last season in Los Angeles.
Clark, who spent two days visiting with the Cavs earlier this week, is getting a deal worth $9 million, said the person who spoke to the Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because NBA teams can’t officially sign players until the free agent period ends on July 10.
The Sporting News first reported Clark’s deal.
The 6-foot-10 Clark set career-highs in scoring (7.3), rebounds (5.5) and minutes (23.1) in 36 starts last season. Before joining the Lakers, Clark played for Orlando and Phoenix. He made $1.2 million last season.
With Tristan Thompson and No. 1 overall draft pick Anthony Bennett playing power forward, the Cavs needed an experienced small forward and believe Clark can compete for that starting role along with Alonzo Gee, C.J. Miles, and Sergey Karasev, taken last week with the No. 19 overall pick.
In Cleveland, Clark will be reunited with coach Mike Brown. The two were together in Los Angeles last season before Brown was fired after just five games. Clark has also worked with Cavs assistant coach Igor Kokoskov, who was previously with Phoenix.
Clark, 25, was drafted in the first round (No. 14 overall) by the Suns in 2009 after playing at Louisville.
- AP Source: Cavs, Richard Jefferson agree to 1-year deal
- AP source: Jimenez and Orioles agree to deal
- AP Source: Raptors give Casey 3-year deal
- Source: Cavs, James Jones agree on minimum deal
- Nets sign F Earl Clark to multiyear deal
- AP sources: Cavs, Wolves set for Love-Wiggins deal
- AP sources: Mavericks, DeAndre Jordan agree to 4-year deal
- AP Source: Celtics, Amir Johnson agree to $24 million deal
- AP Source: Right-hander Madson agrees to contract with A’s
- AP source: Indians, Yan Gomes agree to contract
- AP source: Chiefs, Houston reach 6-year, $101 million deal
- AP Source: Packers, James Jones agree on 1-year contract
- Sources: Cubs strike again, agree to deal with free-agent OF Jason Heyward
- AP Source: Right-hander Madson agrees to terms with A’s
- AP sources: Chris Davis, Orioles agree to 7-year, $161M deal
- AP source: Dodgers, 2B Kendrick agree to $20M, 2-year deal
- AP Source: J.R. Smith agrees to new contract with Cavs
- AP Source: Cavs bring back Shumpert for 4 years, $40 million
- AP source: Cavs to sign Andrew Wiggins to contract
- AP Source: LeBron James signs 2-year contract
AP Source: Cavs, Earl Clark agree to 2-year deal have 391 words, post on www.philstar.com at July 5, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.