Would you pay nearly $1.2 million for a Toyota?Someone at RM Auctions did, setting an auction sale record for a car from an Asian manufacturer. However, this wasn’t your grandmother’s Camry.This pale yellow coupe is a 1967 2000GT, Toyota’s first sports car and the great-grandparent of the 560 horsepower, $388,475 Lexus LFA.If a supercar from the company known for the dowdy Camry and Lexus RX seems like a stretch today, imagine what it was like in 1965, when Toyota unveiled the 2000GT at the Tokyo Motor Show, surrounded by cars that pretty much were toys in comparison.Nothing like the 2000GT had ever come out of Japan, whose cars had the reputation Korean cars of the 1980s and 1990s had: basic, cheap and maybe a bit suspect.Taking a quantum leap forward, Toyota married a sleek body (that bore more than a passing resemblance to the Jaguar E-Type) with a 150 hp, Yamaha-designed 2.0-liter straight six and then-innovative features like disc brakes and rack-and-pinion steering.A roadster version also starred in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice.The 2000GT had a reported top speed of over 135 mph (pretty good for the ‘60s) and, like any good supercar, it was as exclusive… Read full this story
- What is a non-fungible token - and why are some digital artworks selling for millions?
- Monster Hunter Rise Sells 5 Million Copies In First Week, Boosts Entire Series Beyond 70M
- Monster Hunter Rise Sells 4 Million Copies Right Away
- A tale of two carmakers: GM and Toyota take different electric roads in China
- NFT digital artwork by humanoid robot Sophia up for auction
- Banksy's hospital painting 'sells for record £16.8m' - raising money for health charities
- Take Home This Pristine Porsche 904 For A Cool $1.8 Million [UPDATE]
- Countdown: The 165 Greatest American Movies Ever Made (16-40)
- Banksy piece sells for record price at auction
- Purple Aston Martin Vulcan Up For Auction, Again [UPDATE]
No ordinary Camry: 1967 Toyota 2000GT sells for $1.16 million at auction have 310 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at May 14, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.