For a man who said not a word, in public at least, Daniel Craig, aka James Bond, aka 007, made quite an impact on the launch of the new Range Rover Sport on the eve of the New York motor show tonight.
By merely driving the car down a few closed streets in Manhattan (thank you NYPD), parking it a few feet off the intended stopping point and then posing for a few, unsmiling pictures he managed to whip the audience in to something of a frenzy – and secure Land Rover’s new showroom star column inches around the world.
It could have gone so wrong. The logistics of a live broadcast in a city centre are, presumably, a nightmare. So too could it be easy to get a wrong reaction from the audience – although from the whooping and hollering I reckon the New York crowd is probably easier to please than most.
Yet it’s very easy to be cynical about these things, especially when you get to watch the attending celebrities, many of whom international audiences had never heard of, pout and pose down the red carpet.
But Land Rover played it well, both with the choice of Craig, a no nonsense action man in the spirit of the Range Rover Sport itself, and by putting an emphasis on its own web broadcast, which reminded even the highest flying guest that the evening was about more than just them.
Overall, it was a short, sweet presentation of a new car that I reckon has the looks and presence to wow. The unveiling had drama, glitz and a decent rub of risk – all the sorts of qualities that Land Rover should be proud to be associated with.
And now the hoopla has calmed down, you can read the full technical story of the new car, an exclusive Q&A with designer Gerry McGovern and enjoy our first impressions of the car from the passenger seat.
- Who will be the next James Bond? Odds on Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, James Norton and Jack Huston
- Chris Hemsworth Is The Latest Actor To Throw His Hat Into The Ring To Play James Bond
- Is Captain Marvel’s Lashana Lynch Playing The New James Bond?
- Is There Anything Left for Daniel Craig to Do as James Bond?
- Talking Chewie, Lego James Bond and Raptor Hatchlings in Heat Vision 2018 Gift Guide
- James Bond Tosses Martini, Switches to Heineken
- Perfect fit: Rydt Entertainment Systems provides one-source solution for MiT
- Just how rare is Friday night's Giants rainout? The last one was in the Barry Bonds era
- BOND 25 News: Tonight, We Drive A Valhalla!
- Banks-able: Elizabeth Banks makes directorial debut with sequel to sleeper hit ‘Pitch Perfect’
- LeBron James’ Style Takes the Spotlight Ahead of Lakers Debut
- America's 100 Best Sport Climbing Routes
- Why Dave Bautista Risked His Career to Defend James Gunn
- Perfect Substitutes: Crowd-Free Destinations
- James Fenimore Cooper: Cooperstown’s Literary Ghost
- Film Review: James White
- A Tribute to Retiring Sports Radio Giant Mike Francesa: The Most Loved (and Hated) Broadcaster in NY
- 7 Ways To Get Fit For Hiking In Just 10 Minutes A Day
- 25 Perfect Travel Gifts for Frequent Flyers in 2018
- Two Rode Together: Film Forum pays tribute to Henry Fonda and James Stewart
Why James Bond and the Range Rover Sport were the perfect fit have 526 words, post on www.autocar.co.uk at March 26, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.