As Sir Alex Ferguson said goodbye to his players in London on Sunday night, it would have been no surprise if the Manchester United manager was already considering a more permanent farewell to goalkeeper David De Gea. Hours earlier the Spaniard’s woeful punch had led to Tottenham’s injury-time equaliser at White Hart Lane, costing his team two points in the Premier League title race. Following De Gea’s latest blunder it is understood that United will explore the possibility of sending him back to Spain in the summer after accepting that he is unlikely to ever settle on or off the pitch in England. There have been concerns for some time that the 22-year-old is homesick. His pop star girlfriend Edurne has stayed in Madrid throughout the player’s time in Manchester and language problems have hindered attempts to bond with many of his teammates. Since becoming the most expensive goalkeeper in the history of British football at £17.8million, De Gea has also struggled with the challenge of succeeding Edwin van der Sar at Old Trafford and the more physical demands of the Premier League. There has never been any doubt about his shot-stopping capabilities. The former Atletico Madrid keeper made some…
- U.S. Holds Off an Ascendant Spain, for Now, at Women’s World Cup
- Norwich City A-Z: When Robert Fleck slayed Fergie's Red Devils
- How Megan Rapinoe and the U.S. Beat France at the World Cup
- Miss America: Rapinoe scores TWICE to help the U.S. women's soccer team beat World Cup host France 2-1 and advance to a semifinal matchup with England after she once again refused to sing national anthem
- United States Beats Chile, 3-0, at Women’s World Cup
- Ronaldo 700: Overheads, free-kicks and backheels
- 2019 Women’s World Cup Live Updates: USA vs. Chile
- No foot in mouth: Rapinoe’s goals back up talk, carry U.S.
- Six great upsets from the previous six World Cups
- Six of the greatest upsets from the past six World Cups
Is Sir Alex about to cut losses on flaky De Gea and send goalkeeper back to Spain? have 328 words, post on at January 22, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.