The future of Bristol Airport could be threatened by a buyout of Cardiff Airport, a South West MEP has warned.
Ashley Fox says he has written to the European Commission to ask whether the Welsh Government buying the airport breaches EU state aid rules.
The Conservative MEP for the South West and Gibraltar said the purchase could provide Cardiff Airport with an unfair advantage over other regional airports.
Last year it was announced that a buyout agreement had been reached.
First Minister Carwyn Jones announced in December that the Welsh government wanted to buy Cardiff Airport from its current owner, TBI, to secure its future.
Sources suggest it could cost “tens of millions” of pounds to buy the airport.
Mr Jones said it would be run by an independent operator on the government’s behalf, it would not receive subsidies and it would make a “return to the Welsh taxpayer” as well as the private operator.
But Mr Fox said the decision by the Welsh Labour government was “waste of taxpayers’ money”.
He said the purchase “could also provide Cardiff Airport with an unfair advantage over other regional operatives who are not in receipt of government funds, such as Bristol Airport”.
“The Welsh Government needs to decide whether purchasing an airport deemed by the Civil Aviation Authority to be its worst-performing is really the best way to spend public funds, and seriously consider whether they are in breach of EU law.
“The European Commission should now investigate this as a matter of urgency.”
The CAA recently published provisional passenger numbers for Cardiff Airport, which showed numbers had fallen by 16.1% in 2012.
Related Internet Links
- Facts About Malaga Airport
- Tips For Driving Out of London Heathrow Airport
- Limousine Hire For Airport Transfers
- Cornwall Event Guide - Things to Do in Cornwall
- The Mother of All Comebacks - WOW!
- A Guide to the Routes of British Airways
- SARAH VINE: Save our young from sinking in fast-food swamps which pose greater harm than the seductive marketing of music and video games
- A New Look at Newport in Gwent Vale of Glamorgan
- Sarah Palin - Utopian Visionary?
- Personal Revenge
- Quit India Movement to Banish HIV
- Retiring From UK to France
- Creativity and Dreams
- Did Tata's Give Up Too Soon - India Scenario
- Polynesian Diet Strategies - 7 Tips to Help You Lose Weight Permanently
- People, Not Just Customers
- 4 Reasons Why You Should Quit Smoking
- Melbourne - In Pole Position
- The Benefits of a Self-Drive Safari
Cardiff Airport buyout threatens Bristol, says MEP have 461 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at January 24, 2013. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.