Olympics worker arrested over online child abuse charges as 200 paedophiles are tracked down on Twitter in just two hours
A worker at the Olympics has been arrested on the suspicion of using Twitter to share indecent information and pictures of sexually abused children.
The 49-year-old man was detained by police as he left his home at 5.30am on Friday morning to go to work.
He was arrested after an investigation on Twitter found hundreds of users prepared to share pornographic content depicting children.
Abuser: Paedophiles have turned to Twitter an investigation has shown
Metropolitan Police’s Paedophile Unit went on the man’s East London home which is less than 500 yards from a primary school and overlooks a playground.
A 47-year-old woman was also taken into custody and they were released on bail following the investigation by the Sunday Mirror.
Police seized multiple bags of items including computer equipment acting upon the information given to them by the newspaper.
It took the Sunday Mirror’s team mere minutes before 20 users were uncovered openly expressing their interest in underage children.
Twitter has 500 million users
Two hours later they had found over 200 accounts which led to child protection expert Mark Williams-Thomas calling the use of Twitter by molesters and child abusers ‘out of control’.
Paedophiles use the site openly, asking for others with the same deprived interests for pictures and videos.
Some have young children as their profile pictures while others use handles such as @pedo_bear.
Twitter has over 500million users, many of them young teenagers and children who follow their idols such as Usain Bolt, Cheryl Cole and the stars of reality shows such as TOWIE.
As Twitter is less monitored than other social networks it provides an open platform for child abusers (picture posed by models)
Criminologist Williams-Thomas who let the Sunday Mirror investigation said Twitter provides ‘and open platform for paedophiles’ and added that Twitter is five years behind Facebook when it comes to policing and monitoring the content published on the site.
Del Harvey, director of trust and safety for Twitter said: ‘This is a very important issue that we deal with as quickly and thoroughly as possible’
‘Not only is this high priority for the company, but I personally understand the scope and severity of the issue, having spent the past ten years working to combat this sort of content from being distributed.’
- VIP child abuse ring ‘liar’ Nick is a ‘manipulative paedophile who spied on young boys’
- 'Epidemic' of child abuse images found on open web
- 'House of Horrors' child abuse cases reveal how offenders nationwide use homeschooling to hide their crimes
- Family of New York inmate, 22, sue the correctional officers who they claim brutally pummeled, hogtied and threw the former Marine down a flight of stairs just hours before he committed suicide
- £118m child sex abuse inquiry finds no evidence of Westminster paedophile network at the heart of government despite Tom Watson's 2012 claims from Nick the Fantasist
- Britain's worst female paedophile Vanessa George is seen shopping near bail hostel after dying her blonde hair black 'in bid for anonymity'
- Sherry Johnson was raped, pregnant and married by 11. Now she's fighting to end child marriage in America
- Paedophiles could be tracked down from pictures of their hands
- Olympic gymnast Simone Biles admits she finds it 'hard' to focus on training for Tokyo 2020 while dealing with the ongoing Nassar abuse scandal - as she slams USAG for not 'doing what they say' they will to protect athletes
- Notorious paedophile caught stalking schoolgirl after leaving trail of footprints in snow
Olympics worker arrested over online child abuse charges as 200 paedophiles are tracked down on Twitter in just two hours have 657 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at August 12, 2012. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.