New Mets center fielder Andres Torres knows about struggles.
An injury-plagued 2011 season was difficult. But he’s dealt with
A new documentary is coming out on how he managed his Attention
Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder to become a World Series winner with
the San Francisco Giants in 2010.
”It’s about helping others and how we get better, and I think
it’s a great project,” Torres said Wednesday, a week after the
Mets acquired him from the Giants along with pitcher Ramon Ramirez
for outfielder Angel Pagan.
There were 105 therapeutic use exemptions for ADHD medication in
the major leagues this year, but the names are not made public by
the commissioner’s office.
Torres, nicknamed ”Yungo,” said he’s known about his ADHD
since 2002 and has been on medication since 2007. The
feature-length film, titled ”Gigante,” is directed by Chusy
Haney-Jardine, a Sundance Film Festival award winner.
Haney-Jardine plans to release the film within the next
”People look at me, all the struggles, (and) becoming world
champion. I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs,” Torres said. ”I
really have to take it, medication, because it helps you (with)
your focus and how (to) concentrate better. I think people that
have this have to understand that this is a condition that you
really have to pay attention (to), and the medication helps,
Haney-Jardine became involved through Will Chang, a part owner
of the San Francisco Giants – and controlling owner of the D.C.
United soccer team.
”We started about a year ago. It’s been going in spurts,”
Haney-Jardine said. ”We’re still shooting some stuff.”
Torres, who turns 34 next month, has played 415 major league
games over seven seasons along with 1,035 games in the minors,
where he has spent time with 14 farm teams since 1998.
Haney-Jardine was attracted by Torres’ positive personality.
”You can’t help but adore the guy and root for him,” he
Coming off the World Series title, Torres strained his left
Achilles tendon early this year and slumped to a .221 average with
four homers and 19 RBIs.
A year earlier, he came back quickly from an emergency
appendectomy in September and wound up at .268 with 16 homers and
63 RBIs. He was voted winner of the Giants’ ”Willie Mac” Award,
named after Hall of Famer Willie McCovey and given to the club’s
most inspirational player by teammates, coaches and training
Following the departure of Jose Reyes to Miami, Torres is likely
to hit leadoff for the cash-strapped Mets.
”I admire Reyes. He’s one of the best, (most) exciting players
in the game,” Torres said. ”I’m working hard to be an exciting
player, too. I just want to go there, to New York, bring energy and
get the team pumped and do my best.”
Not eligible for free agency until after the 2013 season, Torres
could bring an upbeat attitude to a team expected to face a tough
year. The Mets have endured three straight losing seasons and could
be headed for a fourth.
”I keep the clubhouse loose,” he said. ”We just have to feel
comfortable about everything in the clubhouse, just go up there and
To give the film context, Haney-Jardine is filming what he
called ”fictional reality” – finding kids from Torres’
neighborhood in Puerto Rico to portray the events of Torres’
”He came from a relatively poor family, and he has very few
photographs of himself as a kid. We found like four,” the director
Following the trade, Haney-Jardine is altering plans to include
Torres’ new baseball life with the Mets.
”I think that it’s important for the film to have closure, to
show this change,” Haney-Jardine said.
NOTES: The Mets finalized their $3.5 million, one-year contract
with free-agent reliever John Rauch.
- Judy Garland’s Final Years: Inside the Sad True Story Renée Zellweger’s New Movie Tells
- Leipzig museum tells story of Reclam's little yellow books
- The 19 best movies on Hulu right now
- Love Aaj Kal Movie Review: Imtiaz Ali Breaks Your Heart With This Kartik-Sara's Insipid Love Tale
- World Famous Lover Movie Review: Vijay Devarakonda Shines In This Emotionally Exhausting Love Story!
- Rana Daggubati Questioned Over His Struggle Story By A Troll; His Reply Is Unmissable
- Shikara Movie Review: Vidhu Vinod Chopra's Love Letter To Kashmir Contains Some Heartfelt Moments
- Shikara movie review: It floats on tested waters despite relevant plot
- World Famous Lover movie review: Vijay Deverakonda film is about messy relationships, Arjun Reddy hangover is unmistakable
- Superman Solo Movie Not Happening Until After 2020?
- Jared Leto Is Shocked and Upset by Joker Origin Movie
- Keanu Reeves Talks John Wick 2 Story & New Fighting Style
- Birds Of Prey Movie Review: Harley Quinn's Emancipation Is An Eye Candy For Women Empowerment
- Birds Of Prey Movie Review: Harley Quinn's Film Screams Girl Power
- Birds of Prey Comic Writer Points Out One Big Missed Opportunity in the Movie
- Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie Trailer Has Arrived
- Malang movie review: It is about wanton mush and gritty mayhem
- Love Aaj Kal movie review: 'Tum Mujhe Tang Karne Lage Ho' Imtiaz Ali and no Veer can help!
- Little Women Movie Review: Greta Gerwig Speaks For Every Woman In This Classic Tale
- Shikara Movie Review: Paradise Lost and Regained in Vidhu Vinod Chopra's Film
Movie to tell story of Torres’ ADHD struggles have 863 words, post on www.foxsports.com at December 14, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.