There has been increased activity at Katla since early July, when a sharp flood was released from under the Mýrdalsjökull glacier and down the Múlahvísl river, washing a road bridge away; as was widely reported at the time. Katla’s unrest has, it seems, entered a new stage, a leading geophysicist says. Katla is a very unusual volcano in that there is seismic activity in and around nearly all the time. That activity usually comes in stages — the latest of which began in July. “The most likely explanation for this is that Katla is, in actual fact, always on the brink of erupting. This we saw in 1999, when there seems to have been a small eruption of a similar type to this [latest small eruption this July]. That one was accompanied by unrest and changes to seismic activity and increased geothermal heat in the subsequent years,” Páll Einarsson, University of Iceland geophysics professor, told RÚV. Last year there was significant seismic activity associated with the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, but since this July — when the Múlahvísl flood took place — activity around Katla and the Mýrdalsjökull glacier has increased and changed, Páll says. He believes that the frequent but irregular… Read full this story
- Katie Holmes ended marriage 'amid fears Tom Cruise planned to send Suri away to hardcore Scientology organisation Sea Org'
- At Google I/O, Sundar Pichai to talk Assistant, Android Q amid scandals
- XM Radio pulls PC hardware amid piracy concerns
- ‘There can be no slowdown’: Dems keep up impeachment push while mourning Cummings
- Lindsie Chrisley says father Todd tried to strong arm her into helping with his tax case by leveraging alleged affair with government employee
- World's 12 best places for heli-skiing
- With race-baiting, Trump is in his comfort zone
- Huawei ban: Full timeline as company reports shipping 185M phones despite US ban
- Huawei ban: Full timeline as exec admits it's having tough time without Google's support
- Huawei ban: Full timeline as Mate X foldable phone launches in China
Amid simmering speculation, Iceland volcano keeps intentions quiet have 333 words, post on www.icenews.is at November 22, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.