Manchester United shrugged off their mauling against Manchester City to book their place in the quarter-finals of the League Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win over Aldershot. With United licking their wounds after Sunday’s 6-1 thrashing, manager Sir Alex Ferguson took no chances, naming an experienced side to face Aldershot, from the fourth tier of English football. Nemanja Vidic captained the side, with Michael Owen and Dimitar Berbatov paired in attack and Tom Cleverley making his first appearance in six weeks following injury. Any hopes of a fairytale upset for Aldershot were effectively snuffed out in the first half, Berbatov and Owen putting the visitors 2-0 up before Antonio Valencia killed the game off just after half-time. Owen later admitted United’s players felt under pressure to deliver after Sunday’s humiliation at Old Trafford. “I suppose so. We were a little bit under pressure with the result at the weekend,” Owen told Sky Sports. “Although no-one here started at the weekend you still have Manchester United’s reputation to look after. So whatever side was put out we wanted to bounce back and thankfully we got the win. “As you can imagine the laughs and jokes have quietened down a little bit… Read full this story
- Man Utd 1999 Treble: Near misses, determination & 'pure luck'
- Paul Pogba: Man Utd midfielder wants to leave Old Trafford
- Ander Herrera to leave Man Utd at end of season
- Paul Pogba: Man Utd's dilemma
- Harry Maguire: Is Man Utd's new defender worth £80m?
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Man Utd boss will get financial backing
- Alexis Sanchez: Man Utd and Inter Milan yet to reach agreement
- Paul Pogba racist abuse: Twitter to meet Man Utd and Kick It Out
- Man Utd defender Eric Bailly out for at least four months
- When is the League Cup third round draw? Top clubs to enter pot
Man. Utd shrug off mauling to enter League Cup quarters have 301 words, post on dtinews.vn at October 26, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.