The facts: Roughly half of adult males in the US are infected with HPV. Some strains, passed along to women through sexual contact, can cause cervical cancer. HPV can also increase the likelihood of penile or anal cancer in men, and can cause genital warts. The FDA has already approved the vaccine for boys. But the CDC is still deliberating over whether boys should get it. A significant decision in the process is expected at a meeting next month. Advertisement As we’ve written, there are some public health cost concerns for this, since the immediate benefit for boys isn’t as clear as for girls and the vaccine is expensive. But if the point of any vaccine is to eradicate a major health risk, vaccinating boys would actually make it far more efficient. Advertisement And vaccinating boys might also help mitigate some of the irrational stigmatizing of the vaccine. The past couple of weeks have shown how far you can get talking about government injections of little girls allegedly initiating them into sex. For better or worse, there’s hardly the same societal concern for boys. Advertisement Dr. Rodney Willoughby of the American Academy of Pediatrics told The Huffington Post, “Measles used… Read full this story
- HPV infections nearly eliminated in England under vaccine scheme
- 'A Pap smear saved my life': Woman diagnosed with a rare cervical cancer at just 26 despite having NO symptoms reveals how she welcomed a baby boy with only half a uterus
- Silver Cross to Offer Program on Cervical Cancer & HPV Jan. 30
- Marcia Cross Learned Her Anal Cancer Likely Caused by Same HPV Strain as Husband’s Throat Cancer
- A doctor’s viral video about vaccines has ruffled feathers among anti-vax community
- Connecticut Boy, 10, Dies Suddenly After Flu Diagnosis While Traveling to Hockey Tournament
- Bed-bound boy, 16, with cerebral palsy dies at home alone as his sole-carer father is quarantined in hospital with suspected coronavirus
- 20 Surprising Secrets About the Backstreet Boys You Need to Know
- Indonesian needlefish boy: 'A fish jumped out of the sea and stabbed my neck'
- Is the end of cervical cancer near? Scientists say the killer disease could be wiped out within 100 years because vaccines could lead to an 89% drop in diagnoses
Just Freaking Give Boys The HPV Vaccine Already have 363 words, post on jezebel.com at September 23, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.