Dumfries and Galloway MP Russell Brown is seeking talks with Stena Line over any potential job cuts due to a reduction in its ferry numbers.
It is replacing the three vessels currently operating its Stranraer to Belfast route with two new craft.
Mr Brown said he would “fight any job cuts” which might be associated with the changes.
Stena Line said it would have a “surplus of seafaring staff” and it had started consultation with unions.
The company is due to replace its current fleet, the Stena Caledonia, Stena Navigator and Stena Voyager with two new ships, Superfast VII and Superfast VIII on 21 November.
Mr Brown said he hoped to have talks with Stena Line soon about the situation.
“We’ve just had the latest unemployment figures released and clearly the last thing our region needs is any more job losses,” he said.
“I’m pleased that Stena want to consult on the way forward with employees and trade unions and they have shown a major commitment to our area with their new base near Cairnryan.
“But we will fight any job cuts and we’re seeking an urgent meeting with the company to do that.”
Related Internet Links
- A Guide to Belfast Ferry Port
- Have Your Best Year Ever - Quit Your Job, Travel the World, and Do What You Love - PART 1
- Hawaii Super Ferry Vacation
- Construction Jobs
- Which Video Games Jobs Are Right For Me?
- Students and Summer Job Hunt Strategies
- The Book of Job - Suffering and God's Sovereignty
- Tips For Improving Your Chances of Getting a Cruise Ship Job
- Insider Tips For Finding a New Media Job
- I Want to Be a Star In All My Job Interviews
- 12 Months Free Line Rental Deals - Talk Without Tension
- Legitimate Home Data Entry Employment - Finding Real Online Data Entry Jobs
- POEA Jobs in Canada - Part 2
- DEA Agent and How to Get DEA Agent Jobs
- How Do You Work at Getting a Job?
- More Jobs Available in Saudi Arabia
- Career Change - Keeping The Vistas Open For The Right Job
- Things You Need to Know About Work From Home Jobs
- The Secret to At Home Jobs
- Jobs For Teens - Thousands Available Online!
Assurances sought over Stena Line ferry jobs have 398 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at September 16, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.