MANCHESTER, United Kingdom, May 5, 2011 (AFP) – Sir Alex Ferguson said Manchester United could not afford to fear Barcelona after setting up a Champions League final showdown with the Spanish giants here Wednesday. United romped into the May 28 showpiece at Wembley after overwhelming Bundesliga outfit Schalke 04 4-1 at Old Trafford with a virtual reserve team, completing a crushing 6-1 aggregate victory. Two goals from Anderson plus one apiece from Antonio Valencia and Darron Gibson fired United into their third Champions League final in four years and a rematch with the team who beat them 2-0 in the 2009 final in Rome. Barcelona’s scintillating form in recent seasons have prompted some commentators to hail Pep Guardiola’s team as the greatest club side ever. But while a fervent admirer of the Catalan club, Ferguson insists his team will not be overawed when they meet in the final. “I don’t think we should be going to Wembley lacking in confidence,” Ferguson said. “I think Barcelona’s form has been very good this season. We’re playing a fantastic team. But we can’t be frightened out of skins because of that. “Their form is there for everyone to see — our job is…
- MMA: Nurmagomedov in quarantine, says Ferguson fight off
- Football: Messi will finish career at Barcelona, says club president
- Football: Messi happy again at Barcelona, says Koeman
- More in Opposition thinking of backing govt but fear backlash, says Johor exco man
- Sarah Ferguson and Princess Eugenie visit cancer patients
- Is this who Sarah Ferguson will be sitting next to at Princess Eugenie's wedding?
- Sarah Ferguson shares never-before-seen baby photo of Princess Eugenie on birthday
- Football: Newspaper apologises for racist comment about Barcelona's Fati
- Football: Barcelona signs US defender Sergino Dest
- Eton teacher who was sacked over lecture attacking 'radical feminist orthodoxy' says 'controversy is essential' in education and reveals Tory ministers have contacted him to offer their support
We can't fear Barcelona says Ferguson have 308 words, post on at May 5, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.