A Staten Island woman died a day after her husband beat her for not paying for cable TV while he was hospitalized over Thanksgiving, law enforcement sources said.
The husband, who was just released from another 3-month hospital stay on Thursday, was charged with assault and criminal mischief for the alleged attack – but could face a murder rap once the case goes before a grand jury, sources said.
The medical examiner ruled her death a homicide due to blunt impact trauma to the head.
Scala, who has a long history of health issues, was angry at his wife for not visiting him at the hospital and because she refused to pay for premium cable channels during his stay, sources said.
“Things escalate,” a source said. “Things get thrown.”
Investigators believe one of the objects was an ashtray that caught his wife in the head.
The woman hurriedly packed her clothes into a cart and tried to escape the Finley Ave. home, but the enraged husband doused them with rubbing alcohol and used hairspray to set them ablaze, sources said.
She burned her hands putting out the flames.
The wife was treated for the injuries at Staten Island University Hospital and took shelter at a friend’s house. Her husband found her at the home and began harassing the woman before cops were called and he left, sources said.
As the shaken wife tried to go to sleep that night, she complained to her friend of nausea and headaches, sources said.
The friend found her on a couch the next morning not breathing. She was taken to Staten Island University Hospital, but couldn’t be saved.
Autopsy results showed she died as the result of the bleeding of an existing subdural hematoma, a collection of blood on the surface of the brain.
Investigators learned that Scala hit the woman just a week before on Nov. 19, sources said. Detectives believe the ashtray she was hit with just before she died struck the same injury and caused her death.
Scala has admitted to family members that he had hit his wife, sources said.
He was released on his own recognizance after his arraignment on Friday.
- Donald Trump pays tribute to passengers of United flight 93 who 'took charge and changed the course of history forever' by overpowering hijackers before jet reached Washington at ceremony in Shanksville - as Pence and Biden mourn in NYC
- 'It's much safer here than at home': Fuming Britons blast surprise quarantine on seven Greek islands as mad scramble begins to return to the UK by 4AM tomorrow and TUI and Jet2 cancel holidays
- Would you pay $15,000 for a dog? Lockdown demand for furry friends has sent prices soaring - amid fears of onsellers chasing profits and genuine owners missing out
- Award-winning Yorkshire radio presenter Julie Donaldson dies from coronavirus aged 50 after putting up 'an incredibly brave fight'
- Raekwon Breaks Down His 10 Favorite Albums of All Time
- Senate Power Rankings: Out with the tide
- Reopening Hollywood: You Can Bowl, Gamble & Work Up Gym Sweat, But No Moviegoing In NY: Desperate Theater Owners Beg For Mercy
- The women who shaped, seduced and scarred John Lennon: New book reveals untold stories of the mother whose death the Beatle never got over, Britain's first female pop star, and how Yoko Ono begged to be his lover (because she'd gone off sex)
- Great Scot: Nobody Pushes Sean Connery Around
- A pandemic, a motel without power and a potentially terrifying glimpse of Orlando's future
- Heavenly thanks! Boris Johnson claps for carers from steps of Downing Street after NHS workers saved his life during coronavirus battle - as rainbows break through clouds while millions cheer on doorsteps across UK
- The 44 best HBO series streaming right now
- The 100 best films on Amazon Prime to watch right now
- The death of cinema? Odeon will shut a QUARTER of its 120 venues during week as Cineworld confirms plans to close sites in UK and US with 45,000 jobs - including 5,500 in Britain - at risk after film studios delay releases
- Black Swan, The Fighter: Hollywood's Bad Mother Obsession
- Tens of thousands flee Paris before lockdown: Gridlock for miles, stations are packed and shelves are stripped as month-long coronavirus restrictions that BAN travel begin
- The 40 best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- 45 best horror movies and series on Netflix to watch right now
- Kanye West gives Kim Kardashian a 'creepy' hologram of her dead father Robert that tells her 'look at you, you're all grown up' - and calls Kanye 'the most GENIUS man in the whole world' - for her 40th birthday
- Cops arrest four for arson - including man who LIVE STREAMED fire he is accused of starting - as death toll from wildfires climbs to 29 and Oregon officials warn of 'mass fatality event'
Staten Island woman died after enraged husband beat her for not paying for cable have 809 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at February 18, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.