Female weightlifter Nguyen Thi Thiet has officially retired from competition after winning three gold medals and breaking one record at the sixth National Sports Games.
Thiet, who is the only Vietnamese lifter to compete at two Olympic Games, has been suffering from a knee injury for months, that prevented her from competing at the recent Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.
Having already secured the gold medal, the Hai Duong Province-born athlete set a a SEA Games record by lifting 126kg in the 63kg category.
Thiet plans to work as a coach in her native province.
Dong Tam Long An sign new coach
Dong Tam Long An have hired a new coach just days before national football tournaments are due to kick off. Marco Octavio Cerqueira is the team’s fourth foreign coach in three years.
The Brazilian replaces Macerlo Javier Zuleta who worked with the club for only three months before returning home to Argentina, due to family reasons.
Cerqueira has completed his FIFA coaching certificate and also graduated from Gama Filho College in Brazil with a physical training qualification. He first worked in beach football and led his national team to 10 World Championships before winning two European titles with Portugal and Belgium.
Cerqueira moved to football in 1995 and has worked with teams from Portugal, Brazil, China and Iran before coming to Viet Nam.
The coach said he agreed with the target of a top three finish set by the club when he signed the contract.
Minh loses first game at Super Series Finals
Viet Nam’s Nguyen Tien Minh lost his first match in Group A at the VICTOR-BWF’s 2010 Super Series Finals yesterday.
Minh was defeated 12-21, 17-21 by the world and tournament No 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia yesterday in Chinese Taipei’s Hsinchuang Gymnasium.
In the other Group A match, Dane Peter Gade beat his fellow countryman Jan Jorgensen 21-11, 18-21, 21-16.
It was Minh’s sixth consecutive lost to Lee in international competitions, with his only win coming two years ago at the Singapore Open.
Minh will next play Gade while Lee will face Jorgensen.
The top two players from each group will advance to the semi-finals and the winner of the elite eight man tournament will take home US$40,000. — VNS
- A Colossus says Goodbye
- 10 Years After Declaring ‘This Is My House’ Dwyane Wade Says Goodbye To American Airlines Arena
- Tragic final social media post from a Schoolie who fell to his death from the balcony of a high-rise balcony on the Gold Coast is revealed
- Schoolies 2019: Teenager Charlie Scott identified as victim of high-rise balcony fall on Gold Coast
- Say NO to High Blood Sugar… Abuja woman reveals natural herbal solution that normalizes blood sugar and reverses Diabetes in the shortest time possible without insulin injections!
- A mini gold rush has descended on Northern California
- Mikaela Shiffrin breaks World Cup record with slalom victory
- Exclusive: Sudan militia leader grew rich by selling gold
- Songs of innocence: Najib Razak uses ballad to set record straight on 1MDB scandal
- 'Gold to slide further on trade deal hopes, stronger dollar'
- Gold slips as Trump says US, China close to trade deal
- More drama for Shannon Noll: Two men rushed to hospital after a brawl erupts at the star's Gold Coast concert… a week after his on-stage meltdown
- Giant gold coin with Queen's head stolen from Berlin museum
- Five Best Record Players
- Arrested wife of UK-educated Sri Lanka suicide bomber says ‘he went to prayers and never came back’ after keeping jihadi life a secret
- Drought Again? National Weather Service Says La Niña Likely
- WhaleMail from avid watchers on southern coast record a whale boom thanks to timely tech
- Kofi Baker on His Father Ginger’s Last Days: ‘It Was the Whole Body Saying, ‘Enough”
- Blue Story director Andrew Onwubolu says gang film is 'about love not violence' despite 100-strong machete brawl as Vue Cinemas says movie sparked 25 violent incidents on opening day
- Plane carrying £15m Cardiff City star Emiliano Sala could have been brought down by ICE on the wings, say experts - after its part-time pilot admitted to being 'rusty' with landing system
Thiet says goodbye with golds and record have 673 words, post on at January 6, 2011. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.