“On Tuesday, after more than seven years, the United States of America will end its combat mission in Iraq and take an important step forward in responsibly ending the Iraq war,” Obama said in his weekly radio address. The president, who spends Saturday his last full vacation day at on the island of Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, will cover the issue of Iraq in a nationally-televised address from the Oval Office on Tuesday. “As a candidate for this office, I pledged I would end this war,” Obama recalled in the address. “As president, that is what I am doing. We have brought home more than 90,000 troops since I took office.” US troop numbers in Iraq fell below 50,000 last Tuesday in line with Obama’s instructions as part of a “responsible drawdown” of troops, seven years on from the invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein. American troop levels are now less than a third of the peak figure of around 170,000 during the US military “surge” of 2007, when Iraq was in the midst of a brutal Shiite-Sunni sectarian war that cost thousands of lives. But more than 4,400 US servicemen and women have lost their lives in this war since it…
- 'I'm Jewish. Here's How a Christian Pastor Helped Me Through The Iraq War'
- Joe Biden’s OMB Pick Neera Tanden Reportedly Punched Journalist When He Asked Clinton About Iraq War
- Obama says he may take coronavirus vaccine on TV to build trust in it
- Obama says Trump 'undermines our democracy' by sowing 'seeds of doubt' with his claims about a 'rigged' election
- Obama says not giving Dolly Parton a Medal of Freedom was a 'mistake': 'She deserves one'
- Barack Obama Says DNC Should Give Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a Bigger Platform as Feud Between Progressives and Centrists Grows
- Ethiopia sees war ending, EU complains of partisan aid access
- Price dictators: How growers say supermarkets came to call the shots
- Obama Announces End to Iraq Combat Mission in Oval Office Address
- Despite Violent Iraqi Election Day, Obama Maintains U.S. Troops Will Leave by End of 2011
Obama says Iraq war 'ending,' calls country 'sovereign' have 331 words, post on at August 28, 2010. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.