December 1998 Construction begins on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in Ulsan, South Korea, by Hyundai Heavy Industries Shipyard. February 2001 The rig is delivered and valued at more than $560m. 20 April 2010 Explosion and fire on the BP-licensed Transocean drilling rig Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico. Eleven people are reported missing and approximately 17 injured. A blowout preventer, intended to prevent release of crude oil, failed to activate. Deepwater Horizon oil rig fire leaves 11 missing 22 April Deepwater Horizon rig sinks in 5,000ft of water. Reports of a five-mile-long oil slick. Search-and-rescue operations by the US National Response Team begin. 23 April The US coast guard suspends the search for missing workers, who are all presumed dead. The rig is found upside down about a quarter-mile from the blowout preventer. A homeland security department risk analysis says the incident “poses a negligible risk to regional oil supply markets and will not cause significant national economic impacts”. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs says: “I doubt this is the first accident that has happened and I doubt it will be the last.” Deepwater Horizon clean-up workers fight to prevent disaster 24 April Oil is found to… Read full this story
- Agency concludes probe of oil spill from Shell’s facility in Bayelsa
- Oil spill clean-up at Equinor's Bahamas terminal underway after Dorian damage
- Simon Doonan on Gulf Oil Spill, Drag Queens, and 'Paris Is Burning'
- Oiling the wheels of the Shakespeare festival
- BP accused of arrogance and incompetence by oligarch partner in joint Russian venture
- BP plunges into first-quarter loss after oil price collapse
- Series of failures contributed to Alaska oily water spill
- BP's profit tumbles, debt climbs as coronavirus crisis hammers oil demand
- If Shell is cutting its dividend, BP will have to follow suit
- The next chapter of the oil crisis: The industry shuts down
BP oil spill timeline have 293 words, post on www.theguardian.com at July 22, 2010. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.