Far on Manhattan’s East Side is a quiet campus that is unknown to most New Yorkers – yet is likely home to more geniuses per square foot than anywhere else on the planet.Rockefeller University is a jewel in a city filled with superlative people and institutions that we take for granted. There are plenty of them. This one is a remarkable exemplar of a remarkable scientific community. It is also part of an economic engine that is vital to New York’s future. With the weakening of Wall Street, industries built on brainpower will be increasingly important to creating jobs and business activity. The state and city must do all in their power to nuture our research dynamos and draw new ones. Overlooking the East River at 66th St., Rockefeller was founded in 1901 as the first U.S. institution dedicated to biomedical research. As you might have guessed, the money came from John D. Rockefeller. The core of the institution is 70 professors – scientists at the top of their games who are free to follow their curiosity. They direct their own labs and teach about 200 students, who will take their places among the great scientists of tomorrow. On a… Read full this story
- Cuomo stands firm on indoor-dining ban in New York City
- Real Housewives Of New York City: Dorinda Medley flips out and angrily calls Tinsley Mortimer a 'b****' in final appearance on season finale
- Should New York City Really Be Reopening Its Schools?
- New York City Delays Public School In-Person Opening; Moved To Sept. 21 From Sept. 10 On Union Jitters
- New York City Schools Chancellor Joel Klein Takes Credit for the Work of Asian Parents
- Why New York City Won’t Pop
- New York City tenants say they unwittingly appeared in GOP convention video: report
- New York teachers threaten strike if schools reopen without more COVID-19 testing
- New York Latino Film Festival: ‘Habla Now’, ‘Charm City Kings’, ‘Critical Thinking’ And More Set For Hybrid Edition Of Fest
- New York coronavirus hospitalizations fall to 'all time low' of 154 in a day with 58 dead as two counties head to phase 2 of reopening - but will NYC riots delay city's planned reopening next next week?
Geniuses at work: New York City's Rockefeller University is the nation's braintrust have 356 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at April 5, 2009. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.