The number of killer swine flu cases identified in Queens jumped from eight to 28 overnight, but no one is gravely ill, officials said today. Mayor Bloomberg said another 17 possible victims are being monitored but added all the cases are associated with the St. Francis Prep school in Fresh Meadows. “We have one reported cluster of swine flu at one school,” Bloomberg said. He said calls to every intensive care unit in the city turned up no one who is sick with the flu. Dr. Richard Besser at the federal Centers for Disease Control said the jump in the Queens numbers “represents additional testing, not a spread of that cluster.” About 100 students and parents at the school are believed to have been infected with the flu. Only one person was hospitalized and has recovered. The CDC said there are now 40 cases in America, none serious. The World Health Organization said the killer flu was spreading globally. “WHO is very concerned about the number of cases that are appearing, and the fact that more and more cases are appearing in different countries,” said WHO spokesman Paul Garwood. In Mexico, the national school system was shuttered after the death… Read full this story
- Imported pork floods Vietnam after swine flu cull
- New York City prosecutor says he won't enforce subpoena for Donald Trump's tax returns until federal appeals panel and maybe even Supreme Court judges tell him if it's legal
- These architectural sex toys critique New York City’s new skyscrapers
- Zoe Saldana and her husband Marco Perego attend the National Arts Awards together in New York City
- Far-right 'Proud Boys' jailed over New York City clash with anti-fascists
- The 100 million city: is 21st century urbanisation out of control?
- Could cities profit from protecting themselves against rising seas?
- Inside Copenhagen’s race to be the first carbon-neutral city
- Getting Ready for the New York City Marathon
- African swine fever: the deadly virus that has landed on Australia's doorstep
20 new cases of swine flu confirmed in New York City, brings total to 28 have 318 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at April 27, 2009. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.