The debate over abortion will likely never be settled. Equal numbers of Americans adhere to each side and the issue is as divisive as Abolition was 150 years ago.Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice. For many on the Pro-Life side, abortion is a religious issue, and many abortion advocates agree. They seem to think that, because those opposing abortion are “religious nuts”, that fact alone settles the debate.I am often dismayed, when reading books by atheist or humanist authors, that they support the concept of abortion, sometimes passionately. They seem to believe that only the religious oppose abortion. Maybe I’m the sole exception, but I oppose abortion, and I’m an atheist.Christians — or any other religious group that believes in an afterlife — should be able to take solace in the belief that an aborted baby will go to heaven (or whatever paradise applies). Atheists (and perhaps agnostics) are pretty sure that there is no heaven or hell, that this life is all there is, and it is therefore all the more urgent that this life be preserved as long as possible. If one doesn’t believe in a deity, then one is probably in the humanist camp, at least to some degree. If… Read full this story
- Religious freedom bill would threaten human rights and create 'religious privilege', ACT Government claims
- Democrats diverge on outreach to anti-abortion swing voters
- What Sandra Fluke knows about Hobby Lobby: a case beyond 'religious liberty'
- Mexico election: why is the leftwing frontrunner so quiet on social issues?
- Evolution of the American voter: 'The tectonic plates of politics are shifting'
- Texas attorney general vows to ‘stop’ California travel ban after filing suit
- Pete Buttigieg on faith, his marriage and Mike Pence
- GOP Extremism Was Powerful Before Trump, and It Will Outlive Him
- Vatican conspiracies can't match the real church under Pope Francis
- Republicans are right: The People must have a voice in choosing next Supreme Court Justice
Abortion is Not a Religious Issue have 322 words, post on ezinearticles.com at August 18, 2008. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.