Cabinet minister Hilary Benn enraged car drivers yesterday by claiming the rising cost of motoring is a good thing. The rocketing cost of fuel and road tax was an “incentive” for drivers to make fewer journeys, said Benn. The environment secretary admitted it was Government policy to provide “encouragement” for drivers to use their cars less. He told the BBC’s Politics Show that high prices were “a fact of life”, essential to a low carbon future. “When one looks at the price of petrol and diesel, well that … is acting as an incentive to everyone, to try and reduce use of fuel and reduce emissions”, said the minister. Benn also launched a robust defence of the Government’s controversial plans to raise road tax, insisting it was right for the proposed 2010 tax hikes to apply to second-hand vehicles. Last week the chancellor, Alistair Darling, said that he would look closely again at the road tax proposals, in the face of a backbench rebellion over the issue. Downing Street will be unhappy with Benn’s comments. The PM’s press machine has been keen to emphasise its ‘on the voters side’ in the face of increasing concern about the rising cost of… Read full this story
- Drivers rebel against lockdown bike lanes: Motorists fight back in Sadiq's war on cars by secretly taking down cycle-friendly bollards and sharing their methods online
- Pay as you drive to save the planet: Rishi Sunak considers plan to CHARGE motorists for every mile they drive to fill £40bn fuel tax hole left by early switch to electric cars - as government prepares to launch massive 'reset' green plan
- 'Most people didn't understand that I was being facetious': Armie Hammer sparks anger from fans for 'poking fun' at them with THAT cheeky remark on Timothee Chalamet's snap
- Sixth form head angers schoolgirls by telling them periods are no reason to take time off - because 'learning to deal with monthly inconvenience is all part of being a woman'
- Excessive anger is a sickness, not just an emotion
- Prince Charles breached royal protocol, angered the Queen?
- Anger at 'finger in the air' criteria to decide which areas go into Tiers one, two and three as Boris Johnson's Cabinet prepares to sign off new system amid Tory mutiny over fears NO-ONE will end up in lowest level
- Authoritarian, elitist, anti-motorist.. and eye-wateringly expensive: Drivers, business and economists slam PM's 'Stalinist' plan to ban new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030 - a date that was NOT in Tory manifesto - and his ten-point green revolution
- Bigg Boss 14: Devoleena Bhattacharjee angrily reacts to Salman Khan’s comment about her, Rashami Desai getting less votes
- Anger as Tories 'have to be dragged kicking and screaming' to help hungry kids
Benn comment angers motorists have 451 words, post on www.autocar.co.uk at July 13, 2008. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.