Cyprus is country which is gaining in popularity year on year as people begin to learn about the excellent resorts which grace this Mediterranean island. Great weather, food and some great beaches make this island well worth visiting. Below we look at 10 reasons to visit Cyprus.
1. Cyprus beaches are among the best in the world for their pure white sand and gorgeous coastline. Many of them are quiet and unspoiled, far from tourist attractions, and are the perfect place to kick back and relax.
2. Nea Paphos, also known as New Paphos, is a must-see for history lovers. The ruins of the ancient city built circa the 4th century BC are the remains of a city destroyed by the elements (an earthquake in this case). It was once surrounded by tall walls. The mosaics at the Odeion, which is at the heart of the city, are a fascinating sight. Excavation is still underway in search of more discoveries of the old world. The city also has an open air theatre, which was restored in 1970. The area is tourist friendly and even has toilet facilities near the entrance to the complex.
3. Try a Cypriot mezze meal. A mix of Greek and Turkish flavors, a mezze offers the diner a whole range of dishes and numerous courses that never seems to end. Meat, salad, and fruit are staples of the meal. Some of the delicacies that could be included are haloumi, meatballs, mousaka, kebabs, Greek salad, chicken, fish, olives, pita breads, Greek dips, stifado, and kleftiko.
4. The Tomb of the Kings is another beautiful piece of ancient history that is open to modern day visitors. Recognized as a World Heritage site, the area contains tombs and chambers from the Hellenistic and Roman eras, dating back to the 3rd century BC. Contrary to the name, there are no kings buried here. Instead, the seven tombs were made for upper class people of that time.
5. For a country steeped in history, the museums are a must-see. The Archaeological Museum in Ano Paphos hosts 18th century artifacts, tools, jars, and old coins as well as Roman pottery and statues. The Byzantine Museum hosts copies of scriptures, documents and vessels from the 13th to the 14th centuries. The Ethnographical Museum showcases coins and axe heads as well as a beautiful garden featuring a unique rock tomb.
6. Visit the Troodos mountains in the wintertime to ski or in the summertime or springtime to hike, mountain bike, and have picnics. Take a look at some of the monasteries and churches that rest at the foothills.
7. Bargain prices for everything from visiting sites to accommodation to food and wine are one excellent reason to visit Cyprus. The value for money here is incredibly good, making it the perfect tourist destination for families, backpackers, or budget travelers.
8. For those tired of the cold, the warm (hot, even) climate of Cyprus is a welcome break. Summertime temperatures can be pretty high and it does get rather humid, so if moderation is your thing, springtime is the best time to visit.
9. See the ruins of places mentioned in the Bible. Salamis was the landing site for Paul, Barnabas, and John Mark when they sailed from Antioch to Cyprus to preach the Gospel.
10. As one of Europe’s oldest wine producers, a trip to Cyprus must include tasting the local wines, particularly those made by the smaller wineries.
- 'Why can't they give us until Sunday?' Fuming Britons scrambling to get back to the UK from Czech Republic and Switzerland blast 40 hours' notice which means they must return by 4am on Saturday or face quarantine
- Really Difficult Choice? As NATO Member Montenegro Will Become ISIL Target
- Turkish Defence Minister Calls Out French ‘Mafiosi’ Acting Like ‘Guardian Angels’ in Mediterranean
10 Reasons to Visit Cyprus have 623 words, post on ezinearticles.com at June 10, 2008. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.