Using the title as a running gag opposing the statutory mid evening news on BBC1, ‘Not The Nine o’clock News,’ favoured as funnier, topical viewing at the same time on BBC2. Chancing their livelihoods on the 17th of October 1979, the first show was broadcast, but not in the politically incorrect style that it was supposed to have first hit our screens. Sworn in by the legendary Basil Fawlty at the end of the final ‘Fawlty Towers,’ the cast of ‘Not The Nine..’ appeared young, arrogant and opinionated, or at least, in very much the same manner as Python was heralded a decade before.After more line up changes than a heavy metal band, the crew was finally set as Rowan Atkinson, Mel Smith, Pamela Stevenson (who replaced Victoria Wood who had turned the venture down and balancing out an all male cast,) and Griff Rhys Jones (who, in turn, replaced Chris Langham who decided on other pursuits.)After a shaky ‘will they or won’t they’ start in regards to broadcasting fixtures, the first series seemed to go down a storm. Whilst taking on the tried and tested formula of ‘open house to any comedy writer’ theme from Python, the world of… Read full this story
- How lonely lighthouse keeper's message in a bottle led to 'dream' love affair
- Miles Davis and Two Love Affairs, Paris and Juliette Greco
- Doyel: A 68-year love affair with the Indy 500 started with a boy in an elm tree
- City Park shooting: Husband says Janet had a love affair
- First look at the Love Island villa as it gets makeover ahead of the new series
- Love Island's new stars urged to get rid of X-rated pictures of themselves
- Love Island 2018 babes strip-off for sizzling photoshoot ahead of series launch
- Viral story about Grab driver shows the weight of cheating on a loved one
- Royal wedding guests moved to tears by Prince Charles speech about his 'darling old Harry'
- Namibia: Government Tears Into IPPR On Corruption
Tearing Down The House - A Love Affair With 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' have 323 words, post on ezinearticles.com at January 27, 2007. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.