WASHINGTON/SEOUL – Singapore is the mostlikely venue for a summit between US President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un, top leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, a US official said, after Pyongyang cleared a major obstacle to the meeting with the release of three American prisoners.
The three prisoners, freed after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Kim in the DPRK capital, were flying back to Washington where Trump said he planned to meet them early on Thursday.
The release of the men appeared to signal an effort by Kim to improve the tone for the summit and followed his recent pledge to suspend missile tests and shut a nuclear bomb test site.
A US official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Singapore has emerged as the likeliest location for the planned summit after Trump ruled out holding it at the heavily fortified demilitarised zone between North and South Korea.
Trump, who previously said Singapore was under consideration, said agreement had been reached on a date and venue and details would be announced within three days.
The release of the prisoners gave Trump a chance to tout a diplomatic achievement just a day after his decision to pull out of the Iran nuclear deal drew heavy criticism from European allies and others.
“I am pleased to inform you that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in the air and on his way back from North Korea (the DPRK) with the 3 wonderful gentlemen that everyone is looking so forward to meeting. They seem to be in good health,” Trump wrote on Twitter.
“I appreciate Kim Jong-un doing this and allowing them to go,” Trump told reporters at the White House.
The three men are Korean-American missionary Kim Dong-chul, detained in 2015; Kim Sang-duk, also known as Tony Kim, who spent a month teaching at the foreign-funded Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST) before he was arrested in 2017; and Kim Hak-song, who also taught at PUST and was detained last year.
State media of the DPRK said they were arrested either forsubversion or “hostile acts” against the government.
- Possible Abe-Kim Summit to Help Solve North Korea Nuclear Issue
- ‘Repressed’ North Korea Ex-Nuclear Envoy Seen with Kim Jong Un
- Kim accepts Trump invite to meet and greet at DMZ
- Trump sends North Korea's Kim 'excellent' letter
- Trump heads to South Korea to save floundering nuclear talks
- G20 summit 2019: Trump: Won't be raising tariffs for time being
- 'Impatient' Kim aims talks barb at Trump
- Trump says could meet North Korea's Kim at DMZ
- Trump steps into North Korea, shakes hands with Kim Jong Un
- Nuclear talks back on after Trump meets Kim at DMZ
- Tokyo Still Seeks Japan-DPRK Summit Without Conditions
- What will Kim Kardashian and Kanye West name their fourth child
- Why are homes beyond affordability of most people?
- Xi Jinping in Pyongyang to meet Kim Jong-un, reboot alliance
- Trump proposes third meeting with North Korea's Kim
- Trump tramples and divides world, just like he does at home
- Xi visits North Korea to meet Kim ahead of Trump talks
- Trump becomes first US president to enter North Korea
- Japan welcomes Trump with charm offensive amid trade threat
- Donald Trump and Hassan Rouhani talk about talking to each other
Home/ Asia-PacificSingapore likeliest option for Trump-Kim summit have 523 words, post on usa.chinadaily.com.cn at October 4, 1805. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.